Polynesia is an area made of over 1,000 tropical islands dotted in the south Pacific between Australia and the west coasts of north and south America.
Many of the tropical islands are well known as holiday destinations, idyllic beach get-a-aways and seen as 'paradise islands'; Christmas island, Tonga, Somoa, Cook islands, Pitcairn, Easter Island and of course the Hawaiian islands.
The Tiki Cocktail bar
The idea of a Tiki bar is based around the Polynesian theme of the drinking place of a primitive tropical civilization. The decor and ideas of 'lost primitive tribes' should abound; masks, Palm trees, beach drift wood, oil filled torches and colourful tropical birds coupled with exotic and seductive and of course intoxicating rum-based drinks are the key ideas and ingredients to a successful Tiki Bar party. Most Tiki bars give the impression of rustic, lay-back, beach escape bolt-holes from the pressures of the western world.
Here are just some ideas for a great Tiki Party:
Tiki Bar Cocktails
- Blue Hawaii
- Gin Pahit
- Mai Tai
- Pina Colada
- Planters' Punch
- Singapore Sling
Tiki Bar Decoration (ideas)
- Tiki God Masks
- Wooden carvings
- Hessian cloths
- Bamboo walls
- Fishing traps
- Polynesian fishing Boats
- Oil filled lamps
- Rush matting
- Tropical plants and ferns
- Palm Trees (cocus nucifera etc.,)
- Tropical birds (Myna birds, Parrots...)
- Primitive Art
- Tropical murals
- Indoor water fountains
- Lava stone
Here are just some ideas that are and have been used in real Tikli bars around the world. They are not made-up but actual signs...
- "Walk a mile in my flip flops... and bring back a Margarita"
- "What happens in the Tiki Bar, stays in the Tiki Bar"
- "Maui - 6,500 miles"
- "Two old Hippies live here"
- "Gettin' Freaky at the Tiki"
- "This is my Tiki Bar and I make the rules"
- [Parrot image] - "Screw the peanuts, Polly wants a Cocktail"
- "Welcome to our Tiki Bar. Stop thinking and start drinking."
- "At our Tiki Bar, friends are like shots, you can't have just one"
- "Mermaids drink free in this Tiki Bar"
- "No shoes, not shirt, no problem"
- "Love, laughter and Friends welcome at this Tiki Bar"
- "Taka Tiki Break"
- "To the Volcano ->"
- "You'd better have a shot before you head to the sacraficial alter"
The dress code generally is South Pacific crossed with Hawaiian and Beachy. However, there are so many different off-shoot ideas one can use such as...
- Indiana Jones
- Grass skirts (females and males)
- Hawaiian T-Shirts
- Beach attire
- Primitive body painting - colourful motifs
- Bikinis (two piece or bikini bottoms only!)
- Hawaiian Leis
- Flower garland head pieces
- Flip flops or bare feet
- Beach towels
- Real Coconuts hollowed-out
- Collins glasses
- Margarita glasses
- Hurricane glasses
- Punch Bowls (fish bowls)
- Ceramic earthenware
- Wooden goblets
Garnishes and decorations include
- Cocktail umbrellas
- Fresh Pineapple, oranges and other tropical fruit
- Hula Dancing
- Steel Guitar (solo or band)
- Ukele musicians (four, six or eight-stringed)
- 'Beach-music' band
- Dance Band